One sassy lady is on the quest to enlighten the brains of numerous Americans across the country.

Tuesday, March 13, 2007

You'll have to excuse my absence

Pardon my lack of responses, you see I was in a paralyzed state after being subjected to so many wretched ads these days. Before I dive further, I would like it to be known I have a very high tolerance for shitty things. For example, I can park my body down on my couch multiple times a week to watch (and re-watch) episodes of VH1's I Love New York and MTV's The Hills while holding my bladder full of Red Bull until a commercial break as to not miss anything. So, how could an individual subject herself to New York moaning in ecstasy over an awkward Jewish boy from Boston with complete interest, but when put in front of half the ads in America today she hides for cover while silently singing to herself the "800-800-8553" theme song in a crazy rage?

TV shows are allowed to be dumb. They aren't selling me anything other than the satisfaction that I'm not (that) crazy. But ads? Ads aren't supposed to be 30 seconds of condensed idiocy! They are supposed to sell you something and I think the people of America deserve a little more respect. I think that continuing to dumb down America by using poor humor and stereotypes is cheap and well, makes people more dumb. My main beef at the moment is Burger King (ironically enough, that was not an intended pun and the use of such low humor makes me look like a hypocrite. It was a mistake!! I was very tempted to say "misteak"). Burger King's commercials are the WORST.

If you've somehow escaped viewing their most embarassing ad, "The Manthem", let me corrupt you:

The Manthem (is really stupid)

Take a minute after, I know. Okay, ready? HOW IS THAT OKAY? They use such a low grade of humor it is appalling! Now, I get it, Carl's Jr. has all those sex-biased commercials and there is always some big hooplah over their stuff but at least they do it with some originality. I have no problem with ads playing off of a gender as long as it required some thought/wit. Here is where I am most disturbed: there are people out there who found this to be funny. Studies show people unconscioulsy imitate what they see on TV. Hmm, let's think. A stupid human laughs hysterically at The Manthem, runs to Burger King to get their Texas Double Whopper, enjoys it while replaying scenes of the commerical in their head then getting a surge of brilliance to act them out themselves? Okay, that may be nuts but that behavior of men only doing manly things needs to go and it is just ignorant, and we don't need any more things influencing the public of America in that way. Men don't need to be super macho, women are allowed to eat big, giant burgers. We need to evolve and get out of these stupid mindsets and move away from advertisements that push them back.

An article published on January 31, 2007 in The Miami Herald revealed this upsetting piece of news, "The Miami-based fast-food chain said net income for the second quarter climbed 41 percent to $38 million, or 28 cents per share, compared to $27 million, or 24 cents, during the same period last year. Revenue increased 9 percent to $559 million from $512 million". They think they are doing something right.

2 comments:

beat the chunk said...

Totall agree that the Manthem is lame. But some of the earlier commercials, despite the creepy masked Burger King, struck a cord with its audience. So can they still be considered successful even if pathetic, as long as they're doing their job? And btw, I was totally hurt that Whiteboy got the ax...I like that he looks like a sad little seal.

Jenni said...

yea, when i saw that ad on TV it was HORRIBLE. And their midget-being-smashed-by-hamburger-patty ad? terrible.

strangely, people like it still and will eat at burger king regardless.


the BK lounge isn't all too classy right now, mr. cook