One sassy lady is on the quest to enlighten the brains of numerous Americans across the country.

Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Fast Food Commercials

Okay, so I tried to channel my anger and really try to figure out what makes me so irritated with American advertising, specifically commercials. I'm thinking it lies mostly in fast food advertising. Not only are the concepts behind their advertisements slap-stick but they are also responsible for casting stereotypes upon many different people. I've selected my favorite bad fast food ads.

Burger King - Eat Like a Snake

I know, let's encourage unhealthy eating habits even more, right? First, we'll tell all of America to consume a burger with THREE patties, but better yet, let's make sure the heart really feels the punch by eating it in one bite. Right??? Good call on using a Japanese man too because lord knows they win all of those eating contests and not gain an ounce of weight. It wouldn't be quite as appealing to fast food eaters if an obese Oliver took double the time to sliver his fat bod through those chairs, coughing up chicken bones and sweating profusely on his way to eat his way to another heart attack.

Arby's - Dog Commercial

As an animal lover of every breed, I am not pleased. I'm not even PETA'ing out on you, I just think this commercial is lame. As if I'd break my car window for a sick sandwich weighing in around a hefty 900 calories. To be honest, I'd rather eat that doggie first. I don't even think this commercial makes sense. Why was his beloved sandie in the car without him anyway? All I have to say is thank god it wasn't a baby and not a dog, too many dumb, fat daddies on TV.

I really wish I could have found the commercial for this one. It's the Taco Bell Fouth Meal campaign. You can go to www.fourthmeal.com to gather a glimpse. It's pretty much encouraging a meal between dinner and breakfast. How sick is that? We all know kids get drunk and crave meals but for gods sake do we really need to encourage that? Obesity is everywhere in this country, so instead of adding salads or reducing portion size... why not just add another meal? People out there probably now think it's okay to chow down a taco built from the use of a "meat tube" (I kid you not, once my friend went to buy some food and they told her the MEAT TUBE was broken. THAT IS SO GROSS).

Jack In The Box - Stoner

Wow, that was blatant. I think what I find most ironic about this ad is that Jack In The Box is Christian, check out the O and the X of box to make the little Christian fishie. Anyway, why would they promote smoking weed? Money? Sick. This is so bad on so many levels. Get high, eat lots of unhealthy food, get fat. Good job America.

At least maybe I'll lose weight getting nauseated watching these ads.

3 comments:

Will said...

Well, I quite liked the Burger King spot..

But then I'd imagine I'm precisely the sort of person Burger King is trying to talk to with its communications - young and male, someone who likes silly blokeish humour. Eating lots of fatty food quickly is a core value of a large part of my demographic.

But then, look at the old Tango adverts in the UK (or some of the Pot Noodle work) - ludicrously silly, but it got the point across and positioned the brand correctly.

As ever - the silliness is fine if it's well targeted.

I agree with you about one thing - if the work is silly for no reason, then it just cheapens the brand.

Regina Aletto said...

It is nice to hear the viewpoint of someone who is of the target audience. I have to stop thinking so vain as though the world thinks like I do.

I like that Burger King more than most of their stuff, I guess because they aren't making men look like idiot pigs and women lame. Ya know?

Thanks for the comment Will.

Anonymous said...

Good post.