One sassy lady is on the quest to enlighten the brains of numerous Americans across the country.

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Music and Commercials

It usually bothers me when commercials use really famous songs in their ads just because they know so many people will like the song and perhaps like the ad better because of it. I see it as a bit of a cop out, almost like they are relying on the current fan base for the music. BUT I can think of one company who constantly uses popular songs but does it in the best way possible. I know you are thinking it so I'll so go on and say it: Dr. Pepper.

They have used Meatloaf, Queen and now Tom Jones. Hello. The reason they are so good is because they make a story out of the song that relates to Dr. Pepper rather than just play it. The Meatloaf one where the guy will do anything for love including buying his woman tampons, doing laundry, going to yoga, etc. but he "won't do that" as in give his Dr. Pepper up. Or the one where he wants it all so he performs outrageous stunts like drive a convertible across an icy road. Only the best for this man, including his Dr. Pepper (by the way that actor is hilarious - his smile is so genuine and jazzed). And the newest one which I love showing numerous people eating all sorts of sugary treats like an ice cream cone but the reflection of it in the window is a Diet Dr. Pepper. Or a man will be pouring jelly beans in his mouth from a Diet Dr. Pepper glass. Frozen yogurt coming out of a fountain machine, a cupcake coming out of a vending machine, a woman sipping a milkshake with a Diet Dr. Pepper reflection, etc. etc. all to the tune of Help Yourself by Tom Jones. GENIUS. It is so well done and all the of the people involved are very believable and it gets the job down well. It is memorable and you get the idea that Diet Dr. Pepper is just as satisfying as a sugary treat without all of the calories.

My only complaint is the woman at the end who is drinking from a straw that is attached to a piece of "cake" on the bus and they cut to a guy looking at her and then they cut back to her holding the DDP and she makes the WEIRDEST smirk! I get that they want her to look like she knows a secret the rest of the world doesn't, but she is making a "I know a secret" face for something much bigger than DDP tasting delicious. It's just weird and I often find myself scoffing. BUT it is not even close enough to make me dislike this ad. Woo Dr. Pepper! Fuel my addiction!

No comments: